Section 5.1 Homework Question 3

Navigation   » List of Schools, Subjects, and Courses  »  Math 10 – Introduction to Statistics  »  Section 5.1 Homework  »  Section 5.1 Homework Question 3

With Answers  Good news! We are showing you only an excerpt of our suggested answer to this question.  Should you need our help in customizing an answer to this question, feel free to send us an email at or chat with our customer service representative.

Section 5.1 Homework Question 3

Question

Section 5.1 Homework

3.  Ted is not particularly creative. He uses the pickup line​ “If I could rearrange the​ alphabet, I’d put U and I​ together.” The random variable x is the number of women Ted approaches before encountering one who reacts positively. Determine whether a probability distribution is given. If a probability distribution is​ given, find its mean and standard deviation. If a probability distribution is not​ given, identify the requirements that are not satisfied.

Does the table show a probability​ distribution? Select all that apply.

1. Yes, the table shows a probability distribution.
  2. No, the sum of all the probabilities is not equal to 1.
  3. ​No, the random variable​ x’s number values are not associated with probabilities.
  4. No, not every probability is between 0 and 1 inclusive.
  5. No, the random variable x is categorical instead of numerical.

Find the mean of the random variable x. Select the correct choice below​ and, if​ necessary, fill in the answer box to complete your choice.

1. ____ women
  2. The table does not show a probability distribution.

Find the standard deviation of the random variable x. Select the correct choice below​ and, if​ necessary, fill in the answer box to complete your choice.

1. ___ women
  2. The table does not show a probability distribution

Need help with your discussion preparation?

This question is taken from Math 10 – Introduction to Statistics » Summer 2021 » Section 5.1 Homework