Analysis of Middle Eastern Dance

Navigation   » List of Schools, Subjects, and Courses  »  Dance 102 – Middle Eastern Dance History  »  Essays  »  Analysis of Middle Eastern Dance

With Answers  Good news! We are showing you only an excerpt of our suggested answer to this question.  Should you need our help in customizing an answer to this question, feel free to send us an email at or chat with our customer service representative.

Question

Community/Unity vs. Individuality/Personal Expression in Middle Eastern Dance

First, discuss the attitudes towards community and individuality that generally exist in the Middle East and how these relate to attitudes towards dance

Below are more detailed instructions…

Section A: Introduction:

Tell us what you are going to write about. Name the dance and encapsulate your ideas in sections B, C, and D, in this opening paragraph.

Section B: Discuss the concept of Community/Individuality

Explain to your reader why dance is important to culture generally. Explain the concepts of : community and individuality as it generally exists in the Middle East and explain how these concepts relate to how dance is viewed.

You are not going to relate these concepts to your specific chosen dance form yet, that comes in the following sections. Here, I want you to explain these concepts to your reader so that they will understand them later when you apply them to your chosen dance.

Section C: Describe the dance

Include the name of the dance, and the region from which it comes. Who does this dance? Where, when and why do they dance it? Are you discussing a current time period or a past one? What does the dance look like?

Here I want you to introduce your chosen dance to your reader in such a way that they can visualize it in their mind and understand its context and setting. Be sure to include in this section, anything that will be important later in the essay.

Section D: How does this dance embody ideas of community?

Give and explain at least 2 examples of how this dance represents the idea of community. What I mean by community are concepts such as togetherness, or  characteristics that apply to a  group of people or show belonging to a groupHow are these concepts revealed through the dance you have chosen?

Your dance might express the importance of community through the movement, the way it uses space, the way the dancers interact, the context in which it is performed etc. Please BE SPECIFIC and EXPLAIN your ideas thoroughly. Be detailed in your analysis. Be sure to give me clear, strong examples of exactly how this dance exemplifies the concept of community.

Section E: How does this dance embody ideas of individuality?

Give and explain at least 2 examples of how this dance represents the idea of individuality. What I mean by individuality are concepts such as personal expression, what makes a single individual unique, what differentiates a single person  from others, etc. How are these concepts revealed through the dance you have chosen?

Your dance might express the importance of individuality through the movement, the way it uses space, the way the dancers interact or not, the context in which it is performed etc. Please BE SPECIFIC and EXPLAIN your ideas thoroughly. Be detailed in your analysis. Be sure to give me clear, strong examples of exactly how this dance exemplifies the concept of individuality.

Section F: Attitude towards the Dance

How is this dance viewed AMONG THE PEOPLE WHO PERFORM IT? How do the concepts you have discussed relate to how the people of the area feel about their dance?

Section G: Conclusion

Sum up the important points of the essay and give your reader a sense of closure!

Possible wrap up question: What does the dance do for the people of the society from which it comes?

Need help with your discussion preparation?

This question is taken from Dance 102 – Middle Eastern Dance History » Fall 2021 » Essays