DB 14 What is Evil?

Navigation   » List of Schools, Subjects, and Courses  »  Philosophy 100 – Introduction to Philosophy  »  Discussions  »  DB 14 What is Evil?

With Answers  Good news! We are showing you only an excerpt of our suggested answer to this question.  Should you need our help in customizing an answer to this question, feel free to send us an email at or chat with our customer service representative.

DB 14 What is Evil?

Question

DB 14 What is Evil?

What is “Evil”? First, define what you consider evil to be. Consider a counterexample to your response. How might you improve your definition? You might consider some of the initial work on this presented in the Slide Show Lecture: “What is X?” (See Unit 2 Modules)

Second, address this question: How can there be evil in the universe, when a perfect being who is omni-benevolent (in the sense that it would eliminate evil as best it could) and all-powerful (in the sense that it can do anything) created the universe? (i.e. How can evil or something imperfect come from a perfect being?)

Note: If “evil” is holding you up on answering the second question, then merely refer to evil as “imperfection” (or “suffering” or “error”).

Note: If you argue for the rather short solution that a “perfect being does not exist”, then mention this point and instead answer this: What secular (i.e., non-religious) explanation is there for evil? (i.e., human suffering and imperfection) Why is the universe imperfect or why does it seem so?

Need help with your discussion preparation?

This question is taken from Philosophy 100 – Introduction to Philosophy » Fall 2021 » Discussions