Discussion #3: Dimensions of Diversity

Navigation   » List of Schools, Subjects, and Courses  »  English 104 – Argumentation and Critical Thinking  »  Discussion  »  Discussion #3: Dimensions of Diversity

With Answers  Good news! We are showing you only an excerpt of our suggested answer to this question.  Should you need our help in customizing an answer to this question, feel free to send us an email at or chat with our customer service representative.

Discussion #3: Dimensions of Diversity

Question

Introduction:

Our next discussion is a chance to practice a key scholarly writing move: The “Citation Sandwich.” This three-part move is a way to fully integrate a source into your own writing, giving full context to direct quotes and explaining those quotes to your readers with analysis. For details on this concept, check out the “Citation Sandwich” handout on Canvas.

For the response, you’ll want to think about individuality and gain insight into how our cultural identities form our experiences, values, beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors, and how they help us better understand the diversity and connections within society. 

This sense of identity is explored by countless writers, including those for our class. In her collection of writing, “Brown Album: Essays on Exile and Identity,” author Porochista Khakpour relates her relationship with a two-pronged identity as she shares, “I had tactics as a child: I hid inside the American costumes I wore – punk, cowgirl, starlet – and took on Persian only when I had to” (4). She continues, “Once in a while a baffled peer would ask: ‘But what’s Persian? Aren’t you from Iran? I’d spin the wheel in my brain and let the arrow land on the many somethings, anythings, I had cobbled…”  (4).

We now have the opportunity to explore our own identities and see the ways in which we have shaped and reshaped them, as they have us. This is a very personal response. Please only share what you are comfortable doing so. Remember that these will be read and replied to by your peers. 

We will focus on the following: 

The primary dimensions of age, race, gender, ethnicity, (dis)abilities, sexual identity, childhood economic class and childhood religion, serve as core elements that shape our basic self-image and our fundamental view. They help form our core expectations of others in our personal and professional life. 

The secondary dimensions of culture including education, income/economic status, religious beliefs (current), relationship/parental status, geographic location, and work background serve as independent influences on our self-esteem and self-definition. This influence varies with who we are, our stage of life, and changes we have experienced. 

Instructions:

1. Initial Reply: (200-word minimum)

By Wednesday at 11:59 PM, post your initial response by clicking the reply button below.

• In 200 words or more, please respond to the following:  

1) Choose 3 different dimensions that serve to shape part of your self-image. Please choose at least 1 from the “primary dimensions” and 1 from the “secondary dimensions” listed above. Your third choice can be from either category. Your choices could be those with which you have built confident relationships, or those that you are still trying to comfortably unfold.

2) Next, explain your relationship with those dimensions and why they are significant. These stories will be told with a personal and subjective voice. Remember to please only share what you comfortable doing so. 

3) Finally, choose at least one quote from “Brown Album” that helps highlight one or more of your experiences. You may use the quotes above if you wish, or you may choose your own. There are many excellent quotes from which you may choose.

Begin your source integration by introducing the Khakpour writing for your readers. Like we’ve done previously, assume that your reader has not read the article/s. Give your readers the key info about the text, such as the full name of the writer, the title, and a short overall summary of the text in your own words. 

4) Then, explain what you think the quote means and how you think it reflects the argument you are making about identity and/or self. 

5) Lastly, please provide your word count at the end. 

Then, reply to two peers by Saturday at 11:59 PM

1. Two Replies to Peers: (100-word minimum, each)

By Saturday at 11:59 PM, please post your two responses to your peers. You can do so by clicking the “reply” button under their post.

In your replies, make sure you have reflected on your peer’s personal dimensions. Please be sensitive in your language as they have likely shared something very personal. Please share if you can or cannot relate back to the suggested dimensions and why. Finally, you may also share your thoughts on how your peer’s dimensions relate back to Khakpour, if you wish. 

Grading:

I value your work and all of your efforts. All discussions in this course will be graded using a Rubric. There is a total of 25 possible points for this assignment, including your initial response and your 2 peer responses. Please do not forget to add the word count at the end of the post.

Please keep in mind some basic rules for netiquette (Links to an external site.):

– Be kind and respectful to others

– Use full sentences

– Don’t use too much jargon

– Treat others online as you wish to be treated

– Use language that supports others

You can view the Rubric by clicking on the 3 dots at the top of the page. Have fun!

Need help with your discussion preparation?

This question is taken from English 104 – Argumentation and Critical Thinking » Winter 2022 » Discussion