Discussion #2: Redlining and Housing Segregation

Navigation   » List of Schools, Subjects, and Courses  »  Political Science 101 – Introduction to American Government and Politics  »  Discussion  »  Discussion #2: Redlining and Housing Segregation

With Answers  Good news! We are showing you only an excerpt of our suggested answer to this question.  Should you need our help in customizing an answer to this question, feel free to send us an email at or chat with our customer service representative.

Discussion #2: Redlining and Housing Segregation

Question

Objective

This week students will be introduced to topics related to social justice and the civil rights movement.  While many of us are familiar with the influence of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr (Links to an external site.)., we may not be as familiar with some of the work he did on the issue of fair housing (Links to an external site.).  In 1966, Dr. King and his group, the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC), were met with some of the most virulent racism and violence they would ever experience during what became known as the Chicago Campaign (Links to an external site.).  

In the backdrop to SCLC’s push towards fair housing in Chicago, a robust and enthusiastic opposition movement (Links to an external site.) emerged among the city’s white homeowners.  Several letters to Illinois Senator Paul Douglass articulated the residents’ outrage at King which would ultimately turn violent on the streets of Chicago.  One example read:

“Do you or any of your friends live next door to a negro–why should we have them pushed down our throats?  As a citizen and a taxpayer I was 

very upset to hear about ‘TITLE IV’ of the so-called civil rights Bill S. 3296. This is not Civil Rights. This takes away a person’s rights. We too are

people and need someone to protect us.  We designed and built our own home and I would hate too think of being forced to sell my lovely home

to anyone just because they had the money.”

During the main protest, Dr. King and his group were met by angry homeowners who threw rocks and other projectiles at the demonstrators.  A particularly large rock struck Dr. King directly in the face.

Afterward, King told reporters, “I’ve been in many demonstrations all across the South, but I can say that I have never seen, even in Mississippi and Alabama, mobs as hostile and as hate-filled as I’m seeing in Chicago.”

Ultimately, President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Fair Housing Act into law on April 11, 1968–one week after King’s death. 

The issue of fair housing has not been exclusive to one region, or city, in the United States.  With an understanding of the substantial challenges facing reformers, let us turn to two other cities which are relevant in our modern experience: Los Angeles, California (Links to an external site.) and Ferguson, Missouri (Links to an external site.).    

Directions

This is a two-part assignment.  The primary goal is to allow students to demonstrate evidence of comprehension.  The minimum recommended word count for the initial post is 700 words (not including direct quotations).  In your initial response due THURSDAY (11:55PM), directly address the following points:

1)  In your initial post, select and one of the hyperlinked articles above.  Briefly explain what was relevant about your selection.  

2)  Define the term redlining and explain how federal policies converged with local biases to affect the physical space of the city you selected.

3)  This week we want to discuss the visible effects of federal policies in everyday life. 

– If you selected Los Angeles, use the maps of the city offered throughout the article to locate your neighborhood.  Analyze the extent to which the legacy of redlining can still be seen.  If your neighborhood is not visible on these maps–pick another part of the city that you are familiar with and consider how your experience is or is not affected by the legacy of redlining.  You may also use this fantastic database on redlining (Links to an external site.) provided by the University of Richmond to find your neighborhood. 

– If you selected Ferguson, analyze how state and federal public policies contributed to the development of Ferguson, MO since the 1950s.  How did the composition of Ferguson change over time? What role did institutions of civil society–state and federal government agencies, police, schools, banks, etc– play in the development of Ferguson?

Follow-Up Reply Directions

After your initial submission, select 2 posts from your peers and respond to them by Sunday, January 23rd (11:55pm).  The responses should be similar in quality to your initial post in terms of depth of thought and content.  Quality responses do not simply agree with the author but substantially expand the  discussion.  

Please see the rubric attached.

Need help with your discussion preparation?

This question is taken from Political Science 101 – Introduction to American Government and Politics » Winter 2022 » Discussion