Reading Responses Discussion: MLA Questions

Navigation   » List of Schools, Subjects, and Courses  »  English 101 – Freshman English  »  Discussion  »  Reading Responses Discussion: MLA Questions

With Answers  Good news! We are showing you only an excerpt of our suggested answer to this question.  Should you need our help in customizing an answer to this question, feel free to send us an email at or chat with our customer service representative.

Reading Responses Discussion: MLA Questions

Question

Hi all. So far, your MLA Annotated Bibliographies look okay. (Not all perfect, but showing effort.) I’ll be going through them this week and adding to this thread. But here I’d like you to ask any questions you have about this MLA citation style. Here’s a brief overview of a way to look at it usefully. 

MLA, like any citation able, has two “parts.” There are in-text citations, which are just what they sound like: the part of the information about your sources that goes in the text of your paper. This is what we see when we come upon the info in parenthesis as we read (like this, usually a page number). Note the punctuation of this. The period that closes the sentence goes after the parenthesis. 

The other part of MLA is the Work Cited page. This includes the type of citation you should have had at the top of your Annotated Bibliography. It has punctuation and information in a very precise order. Author first,  with the last name first and the whole list alphabetized. 

I am describing this here to give you what I would cover in class, as a way of helping you understanding the information you’ll see for MLA online. But the true and full source of how to use MLA, along with the order and style for every single citation of a research source you’ll do, is on OWL Purdue. So my expectation is that you go to that source online in order to make your in-text citations and your Works Cited page for your work in this class. And just so you know: professionals go to this source as well. If I am asked to use MLA in a scholarly work, and am turning in a Works Cited page, I use MLA every time. its not something you memorize. Its a continual habit of being precise by using the site. 

So, that’s the mini-lecture. Here in this discussion space, I’d like you to express any confusions you have about how to use MLA, or about your research itself. I have the feeling you have a lot. Any English class would. So please feel free to ask away. ANY questions about research sources, and ANY questions about how to use MLA to cite them in your work. 

Need help with your discussion preparation?

This question is taken from English 101 – Freshman English » Winter 2022 » Discussion