Section 1.4 Homework

Navigation   » List of Schools, Subjects, and Courses  »  Math 261 – Calculus I  »  Homeworks  »  Section 1.4 Homework

With Answers  Good news! We are showing you only an excerpt of our suggested answer to this question.  Should you need our help in customizing an answer to this question, feel free to send us an email at or chat with our customer service representative.

Section 1.4 Homework

Question

Section 1.4 Homework

1. The point  P(9, −3) lies on the curve y = 3/(8 − x).

(a) If Q is the point (x, 3/(8 − x)), use your calculator to find the slope 

mPQ

of the secant line PQ (correct to six decimal places) for the following values of x.

(i) 8.9

(ii) 8.99

(iii) 8.999

(iv) 8.9999

(v) 9.1

(vi) 9.01

(vii) 9.001

(viii) 9.0001

(b) Using the results of part (a), guess the value of the slope m of the tangent line to the curve at 
P(9, −3).

(c) Using the slope from part (b), find an equation of the tangent line to the curve at 
P(9, −3).

2. If a ball is thrown into the air with a velocity of 46 ft/s, its height in feet t seconds later is given by y = 46t − 16

t2

(a) Find the average velocity for the time period beginning when t = 2 and lasting for each of the following.

(i) 0.5 seconds

(ii) 0.1 seconds

(iii) 0.05 seconds

(iv) 0.01 seconds

(b) Estimate the instantaneous velocity when t = 2.

3. The displacement (in centimeters) of a particle moving back and forth along a straight line is given by the equation of motion s = 2 sin(𝜋t) + 5 cos(𝜋t),
 where t is measured in seconds. (Round your answers to two decimal places.)
(a) Find the average velocity during each time period.

(i) [1,2]

(ii) [1,1.1]

(iii) [1,1.01]

(iv) [1,1001]

(b) Estimate the instantaneous velocity of the particle when t = 1.

Need help with your discussion preparation?

This question is taken from Math 261 – Calculus I » Spring 2022 » Homeworks