Week 2 Discussion: Salem Witch Trials

Navigation   » List of Schools, Subjects, and Courses  »  History 011 – US History to 1877  »  Discussion  »  Week 2 Discussion: Salem Witch Trials

With Answers  Good news! We are showing you only an excerpt of our suggested answer to this question.  Should you need our help in customizing an answer to this question, feel free to send us an email at or chat with our customer service representative.

Week 2 Discussion: Salem Witch Trials

Question

FACT: The Salem Witchcraft Trials are legendary in American History. There are many parts of this event that people do not understand…not just for the 25 innocent people who lost their lives due to the trials but also because of the hysteria that caused them. While the hysteria may have changed slightly over the years, Americans seem to go on metaphorical “witch hunts” every now and then against groups the majority does not understand. Simply trying to defend yourself against false charges is often a problem, as denials then become part of some grand conspiracy as the accusers wonder what their fellow Americans are hiding.

DIRECTIONS

STEP 1: ANSWER THE FOLLOWING 3 QUESTIONS IN ONE MAIN POST USING AT LEAST 200 WORDS.

QUESTION #1: What was the most important underlying cause of the witch trials?  

QUESTION #2: Why has the American majority gone on these “witch hunts” against minority groups?  Are there any common themes between the eras? 

QUESTION #3: If you were put into a position where you had to either lie to live or die to preserve your dignity, what would you do?

• EXAMPLE:  The causes of the witchcraft trials were because ducks could float. If I were put into a position to preserve my faith and live or lie and die, I would rather die because I would want to be true to my faith in God. (Then expand on your reasons until you reach at least 200 words.)

STEP 2: PICK 2 CLASSMATES TO WHOM YOU WILL LEAVE RESPONSE POSTS USING THE SANDWICH FORMAT (EXPLAINED BELOW).  RESPOND TO EACH CLASSMATE WITH A MINIMUM OF 75 WORDS PER RESPONSE.

(AGAIN, each of you are required to make a total of THREE posts…ONE main post at least 200 words long, and TWO additional posts of at least 75 words each responding to two of your classmates.)

• Remember that the word count for your Main Post must be at least 200 words.
  • Remember that your word count for the responses is at least 75 words per post.  Also, remember the three-part “sandwich” format:
  1. Start with a compliment to the classmate who left the Main Post
  2. Add in some new facts/observations of your own
  3. End with a question or two back to the original classmate

Need help with your discussion preparation?

This question is taken from History 011 – US History to 1877 » Spring 2022 » Discussion