Discussion Post: Primary Source Document Discussion: William Apess

Navigation   » List of Schools, Subjects, and Courses  »  History 135 – Native American History  »  Discussion  »  Discussion Post: Primary Source Document Discussion: William Apess

With Answers  Good news! We are showing you only an excerpt of our suggested answer to this question.  Should you need our help in customizing an answer to this question, feel free to send us an email at or chat with our customer service representative.

Discussion Post: Primary Source Document Discussion: William Apess

Question

Below is an excerpt from the autobiography of Wiliam Apess, a Native American member of the Pequot tribe.  Apess was a Native American rights activist, Methodist preacher, orartor and writer,

“ You and I have to rejoice that we have not to answer for our fathers’ crimes, neither shall we do right to charge them to one to the other.  We can only regret it, and flee from it, and from henceforth, let peace and righteousness be written upon our hearts and hands forever”
-Willam Apess

Directions:  In college level writing (college level grammar, spelling, etc) answer the following 

questions 1-3 in  your post and respond to the comments to one other students in the class.

(Remember, a response such as “yes I agree” or “I like what your wrote” does not count as thoughtful and relevant reply.) 

1) How would you summarize the meaning of this excerpt written by William Apess? 

2) How is this information relevant for us to consider as we begin a class in Native American History? 

3) Be sure to post thoughtful replies to one other students in class. 

Need help with your discussion preparation?

This question is taken from History 135 – Native American History » Spring 2022 » Discussion