Discussion Circle: Reel Injun: On the Trail of the Hollywood Indian (2009) – Post due Wed 4/6, Replies due Fri 4/8 – The Fab Four

Navigation   » List of Schools, Subjects, and Courses  »  English 313 – Studies in Popular Culture  »  Discussion  »  Discussion Circle: Reel Injun: On the Trail of the Hollywood Indian (2009) – Post due Wed 4/6, Replies due Fri 4/8 – The Fab Four

With Answers  Good news! We are showing you only an excerpt of our suggested answer to this question.  Should you need our help in customizing an answer to this question, feel free to send us an email at or chat with our customer service representative.

Discussion Circle: Reel Injun: On the Trail of the Hollywood Indian (2009) – Post due Wed 4/6, Replies due Fri 4/8 – The Fab Four

Question

Before Wednesday:

• First, watch the documentary Reel Injun: On the Trail of the Hollywood Indian (2009)
    • You can watch this film for free here: Reel Injun: On the Trail of the Hollywood Indian (2009)Links to an external site. 
      • Unfortunately, this film is no longer available through Kanopy. I was able to find it for free through another CSUN source, but it has non-optional French subtitles and the video quality is not great. There are also English subtitles, optionally. I’m sorry, but this is the best I can do on short notice! 
    • If you have Amazon Prime, you can watch this film in higher quality there. 
    • Content Warnings for this film include: racism, movie violence (clips) and brief non-sexual frontal nudity
  • Then, answer the following response questions (200 words minimum):
    1. What is your response to the issues of representation brought up by this film?
    2. Did anything about this documentary surprise/shock you? Did you learn something you were previously unaware of?
    3. This documentary focused on Native representation in film. Can you think of at least one other group of people for whom  accurate representation in film is (or has been) a struggle? What are some of the main issues facing that group when it comes to representation?  (Issues with representation can include the accuracy, frequency, or agency of representative characters)
  • Lastly, write a thought-provoking discussion question for your group about an issue or issues brought up by this film. 

Before Friday:

• Respond  to each of the other students in your group (at least once) and answer their discussion question in a thoughtful response post!
  • Please note that you also have another film assignment due at the end of the week on Sunday, 4/10

General Tips for Responses: 

• Think/read/watch critically. Make note of your reactions as you read/watch/listen.
  • Every main post should be a minimum 200+ words. Write as much as you like, but make sure it is at least 2 paragraphs and 200 words minimum.

If you are responding to a non-written text (like audio/video or film) you might also ask: 

1. What social or ideological messages does this work convey, whether intentionally or not?
  2. What do I think of its style or its use of form?
  3. Which moments leap out at me for visual, auditory, or dramatic reasons?
  4. Which scenes or moments challenge or disturb me?

Need help with your discussion preparation?

This question is taken from English 313 – Studies in Popular Culture » Spring 2022 » Discussion