Chapter 16 Discussion

Navigation   » List of Schools, Subjects, and Courses  »  Music 306 – Introduction to Jazz  »  Discussion  »  Chapter 16 Discussion

With Answers  Good news! We are showing you only an excerpt of our suggested answer to this question.  Should you need our help in customizing an answer to this question, feel free to send us an email at or chat with our customer service representative.

Chapter 16 Discussion

Question
  1. If your birthday falls between January and March, learn about  – Mainstream Singer:Watch the 1991 Nat King Cole Documentary (Links to an external site.)
  2. If your birthday falls between April and June, learn about – R&B/Soul (and Mainstream Singer):Watch BBC’s Nina Simone & Me Documentary with Laura Mvula (2016) (Links to an external site.)
  3. If your birthday falls between July and September, learn about – Brazilian Music:Watch BBC’s The Girl From Ipanema: Brazil, Bossa Nova, and the Beach Documentary (2016) (Links to an external site.)
  4. If your birthday falls between October and December, learn about – Afro-Cuban Music:Watch PBS’ Roots of Rhythm Part 3 with Harry Belefonte (Links to an external site.)that details the roots of Cuban music and its influence in the United States. (if you’re interested in this, I’m happy to share the first two parts with you as well. Each part is an hour though, and I felt that assigning all 3 hours was a bit much)

In your initial post, write two paragraphs. In your first paragraph, tell us your birthdate and zodiac sign 😀 . Then, write a brief summary of what you learned from the documentary. In your second paragraph, pick one song you heard from the documentary you watched and tell us the story of how it was composed or recorded and why it is important. Then, please embed a youtube video or link to Spotify of the recording. Make your initial post by Friday April 22nd 11:59pm (200 words for full credit)

Reply to a minimum of two peers who did not watch the same documentary as you. Listen to the song they posted and comment on if you liked the song, if it reminded you of modern music you listen to, and/or if you were inspired to listen to more music by that artist and what. Reply by Sunday April 24th 11:59pm for full credit. 

Need help with your discussion preparation?

This question is taken from Music 306 – Introduction to Jazz » Spring 2022 » Discussion