Group Forum: The Art of Metacommentary

Navigation   » List of Schools, Subjects, and Courses  »  English 101 – Freshman English  »  Assignment  »  Group Forum: The Art of Metacommentary

With Answers  Good news! We are showing you only an excerpt of our suggested answer to this question.  Should you need our help in customizing an answer to this question, feel free to send us an email at or chat with our customer service representative.

Group Forum: The Art of Metacommentary

Question

Part 1 due Friday, May 13, by 11:59 pm (10 points)

Part 2 due Sunday, May 15, by 11:59 pm (5 points for each of two responses)

Part 1: Getting It Right (for your reader)

After you’ve read “But Don’t Get Me Wrong”: The Art of Metacommentary, make a point of your own and elaborate on it with these templates:

Ultimately, then, my goal is to demonstrate that ____________________________.  In other words, ______________________. 

You can choose from the following topics: marijuana legalization / minimum wage / professional sports / social media / texting / a particular movie / a television show / a fashion trend / the job market / youtube / a dance craze

Or, any subject that inspires, irritates, or moves you.  Here’s a warning, though.  If you’re really passionate about, or inspired by, a subject, you might go overboard and not make any real point.  For example, if you’re a sports fan, a claim like “Ultimately, then, my goal is to demonstrate that basketball is a great sport.  In other words, the game is the best way to enjoy a Sunday afternoon” doesn’t really say anything.  Your reader will wonder what your point is.  Make sure you’re expressing reasons, not just statements of fact or personal preference.   

Here’s an example with something that inspires me: 

Ultimately, then, my goal is to demonstrate that a good film must start with a solid story.  In other words, if the plot is noticeably weak, then the viewer won’t understand what is motivating the characters.  

Part 2: Response

Find two posts made by your classmates that you can respond to.  Maybe what’s being addressed is of interest to you as well or it’s a subject you know something about.  In responding, you can do one of two things:

• anticipate objections to one or both of the claims with this template – Although some ________- may object that___________, I would answer that __________________.  For example: Although some movie buffs may object that the action is what makes the film work, I would answer that it’s always the story that gives the action purpose.
  • further elaborate on the original idea (no template necessary).  For example: The climax, the big ending, will fail miserably if the story that leads to it doesn’t make sense.  

If you’re a movie buff like me, you may focus the metacommentary on a specific film.  However, be careful here.  If you’ll notice above, all the post and reply examples I gave are assertions; each one makes a point (key to developing your skills as a writer).  Words like “great,” “powerful,” “interesting,” “best,” etc. just offer personal preference.  There’s no real argument.  The idea here, and in this course, is to offer and develop an argument.

Personally, I thought, and still think, that The Usual Suspects is the greatest crime film ever made.  That’s my opinion, which doesn’t mean squat.  It doesn’t say anything.  However, if I were to claim that “The Usual Suspects cleverly interweaves various character backstories into a jaw-dropping climax,” then I’ve got something to work with.  And, in using the templates above, I’d start with this: Ultimately, then, my goal is to demonstrate that The Usual Suspects cleverly interweaves various character backstories into a jaw-dropping climax.  In other words, Verbal Kint’s confession may be long and convoluted, but it is extremely effective in leading the police on a wild goose chase for the elusive Kaizer Soze.       

Remember, here’s how to post (and respond) to the assignment with Canvas.

Post your metacommentary by tomorrow, Friday, at 11:59 p.m.

To post your original metacommentary go down to the introduction thread below and click on “Reply” and write or paste your metacommentary in the Rich Content Editor; when you are finished, click “Post Reply.”

Respond to two posted metacommentaries by Sunday at 11:59 pm

To respond to other students’ posted metacommentaries, click on “Reply” under the post and write in your response.  When you are finished, click on “Send.”  (Remember that you need to respond to two students here, so you have to do this twice!)

Need help with your discussion preparation?

This question is taken from English 101 – Freshman English » Spring 2022 » Assignment