Week 13 – Reading Apprenticeship Technique #3 and #4: KWL and SQ3R

Navigation   » List of Schools, Subjects, and Courses  »  Chem 102 – General Chemistry II  »  Discussion  »  Week 13 – Reading Apprenticeship Technique #3 and #4: KWL and SQ3R

With Answers  Good news! We are showing you only an excerpt of our suggested answer to this question.  Should you need our help in customizing an answer to this question, feel free to send us an email at or chat with our customer service representative.

Week 13 – Reading Apprenticeship Technique #3 and #4: KWL and SQ3R

Question

As we are quickly approaching toward the end of our journey together, I would like to continue to give you the tools necessary to be an effective and a better learner.  Do you remember the first step of the Study Cycle is to preview the materials before lecture?  Many students said they read the chapters in the textbook, but they often did not recall what they read.  Thus, it did not improve their learning. Professors assume and expect you to read the chapters and texts in their classes on your own, especially in upper division classes.  Are you reading the text the right way?  What are some reading strategies that you can try?    

The third and forth reading strategy are KWL and SQ3R because some of you mentioned that you preferred to take notes as you read the textbook. I hope these methods (tools) will be useful to you to engage the text while reading.  Afterward don’t forget to attend office hours and/or CAS tutoring to get your questions answered.  Personally, I used the KWL method in college to write down all the questions I had during the preview portion of the study cycle.  After lecture, I looked at my KWL list again to see if I need to contact my professors for additional clarification during the review portion of the study cycle.             

Reading Apprenticeship (RA) Framework

What is Reading Apprenticeship?

We first have to come to an understanding about what reading is?

• Reading is a complex process.
  • Reading is problem solving.
  • Student who read well take a code-breaking stance.
  • Fluency in reading is not the same thing as decoding.
  • Speed and approach which make up reading proficiency vary with the reading text.
  • Proficient readers share some of the same key attributes.

Support Reading with the Four Dimensions of RA

The dimensions of the Reading Apprenticeship® (RA) Framework include the personal, social, cognitive, and the knowledge-building dimensions.  These four dimensions are necessary to support reading development at all levels in your classroom.  Let’s review the four dimensions:

Personal:  Who are you as a reader?  

The personal dimension deals with helping the students develop their reader identities and become self-aware of their purposes and goals of reading.  This also has to do the ability to take on a wide variety of disciplinary texts with confidence, in a fluent manner, and with the ability to handle the rigor and demands of the text.

Social:  How will the group support your reading skill development?  

The social dimension builds the community of readers by recognizing the reading resources and contributions that each class member brings to the text.  The social setting must offer a supportive, safe classroom where students can discuss their misunderstandings and challenges with the readings.

Cognitive:  What techniques will make the task of approaching text easier?   

The cognitive dimension works to give the readers the tools to develop their mental strategies, monitor comprehension, apply problem solving strategies, and adjust reading processes for various texts.

Knowledge- Building:   How can we build schema together and learn the reading skills of our technical professional fields?   

The knowledge-building dimension is the key to identifying and increasing the kinds of knowledge that readers use to approach text and persevere when reading is a challenge.  

Initial Post

1. Watch Read, Understand, and Remember!  Improve your reading skills with the KWL method (11:53) to learn about this reading technique.   
  3. Watch SQ3R Reading Method (2:32) to learn about this reading technique

Respond to this discussion prompt by Tuesday 11:59 pm. Select the Reply box and write a paragraph for each of the following questions:

1. You will report on something good that happened to you, or an accomplishment of yours from the last 5-7 days. It doesn’t have to be chemistry or science or even school-related. Please keep it appropriate!
  2. 30-minutes self-care (walk, jog, gym, yoga, mediate, etc.) break every day this week.  
  3. In the first video, Emma compared reading with what exercise?   
  4. What does the KWL method stand for?
  5. What kind of information should we put down under the column K?
  6. What kind of information should we put down under the column W?
  7. What kind of information should we put down under the column L?
  8. In the second video, what does SQ3R stand for?
  9. To practice the KWL and SQ3R methods, read Bonding in Coordinate Compound (Links to an external site.) and post 3 or more questions (clearly labeled Q1, Q2, Q3 and be specific, use quotation if necessary) you may have from the reading.  If you do not have any questions from the reading, explain how you obtain the answers for Exercise 25.5.1a and b at the bottom of that page.           

By Friday night at 11:59 pm, please reply to at least two of our classmates’ posts with ideas or suggestions as feedback by doing two of the followings: 

1. You will share your reaction / emotional response to the poster’s good news, and/or ask follow-up question(s).
  2. Provide specific feedback about your classmates’ plans to implement the techniques in this discussion.
  3. Ask a probing or clarifying question in response to one (or more) of your colleagues’ posts, or
  4. Answer their specific questions as many as you can.  If someone has already answered the questions, you will need to find other unanswered questions.

Need help with your discussion preparation?

This question is taken from Chem 102 – General Chemistry II » Spring 2022 » Discussion