Chapter 1 DB Answer

Navigation   » List of Schools, Subjects, and Courses  »  Psychology 2080 – Abnormal Psychology  »  Discussions  »  Chapter 1 DB  »  Chapter 1 DB Sample Answers

We are showing you only the excerpt of our answer. If you need help with the complete answer email us at

Chapter 1 DB

Reflect on the chapter in terms of the criteria, identifying at least one specific issue related to identifying abnormal behavior. What did you learn from reading these articles that you cannot previously contemplated? Be sure to include reference to the criteria and the text. Illustrate with a specific example.

Need help with your discussion preparation?

Chapter 1 DB Answer 3

According to the text, no consensus has been made regarding what is considered abnormal behavior. Nonetheless, the text describes the common features from the proposed definitions of abnormality and they are the following: deviance, distress, dysfunction, and danger (Comer & Comer, 2019, para. 2). Thus, to be generally considered as abnormal behavior, the behavior needs to be deviant, distressful, dysfunctional, and dangerous.

Chapter 1 DB Answer 2

There are specific criteria in determining the abnormality of behavior. In the textbook, these were recognized as deviance, distress, dysfunction, and danger (Comer & Comer, 2019, p. 4). One issue that can be found among these criteria would be degrading deviance. This was also detailed out in the textbook where it was admitted that “each society establishes norms” (Comer & Comer, 2019, p. 4).

The criteria generally used for defining an abnormal behavior include deviance, distress, dysfunction, and danger. These criteria are influenced by norms, culture, and context. The first question that comes to my mind when I look at deviance as a criterion for abnormal behavior is “deviant from what?”. I think the most obvious answer is culture. 

This question is taken from Psychology 2080 – Abnormal Psychology » Fall 2021 » Discussions