Research Project3–Discussion Post I Answer

Navigation   » List of Schools, Subjects, and Courses  »  Art 315 – World Perspectives in Art History  »  Discussions  »  Research Project3–Discussion Post I  »  Research Project3–Discussion Post I Sample Answers

We are showing you only the excerpt of our answer. If you need help with the complete answer email us at

Research Project3–Discussion Post I

1. ART & FOOD DISCUSSION

1. Read the article “Food and Drink in European Painting, 1400-1800” http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/food/hd_food.htm (Links to an external site.)
  2. In your discussion post respond to the following prompts in essay form:
  3. At first state which essay you read and are going to summarize.
  4. Summarize how the depiction of such items such as fruits served/worked for the artists.
  5. There is quite a bit of symbolism in many paintings that include images of food items. What did you learn that you found surprising?
  6. On the upper right of the essay page in blue, click on “SEE WORKS OF ART” to find an example to write about. Provide one example of a painting and the symbolism of the subject matter that was surprising to you. Make sure it does indeed include food and/or drink as a few of the examples provided do not. You may also need to “see additional information” for your selection as indicated below the description. A specific example includes the artist’s last name, title of the work of art (in italics), and the date and historical period (i.e.: Italian Renaissance).
  7. Describe the painting in detail and discuss what elements and symbolism are Your example may only be from this selection of images connected to this article.

Need help with your discussion preparation?

Research Project3–Discussion Post I Answer

Jennifer Meagher’s essay, Food and Drink in European Painting, 1400-1800, provides an exploration of the symbolism of food and drink found in many European paintings created during the Middle Ages and the Renaissance. Meagher made exemplary depictions  and description of how food and drink symbolize a variety of meaning in the society, and how paintings provided a significant element in exploring these symbols and providing its meaning. I will write about this essay and focus on how fruits and other food elements were used to create a relevance with mythologies, especially on how certain fruits have strong origins from mythologies of gods and goddesses

This question is taken from Art 315 – World Perspectives in Art History » Fall 2021 » Discussions