Hymen Discussion Answer

Navigation   » List of Schools, Subjects, and Courses  »  Soc 230 – Human Sexual Behavior  »  Discussions  »  Hymen Discussion  »  Hymen Discussion Sample Answers

We are showing you only the excerpt of our answer. If you need help with the complete answer email us at

Hymen Discussion

This is a discussion about the social construction of virginity. Even if you understand this concept as a social construct that can be deconstructed, most of the world still views virginity (read: “female” virginity) as a clear, distinct, biological certainty.

Watch the following video: https://youtu.be/1ikXim4wevc

1. What was ONE new thing you learned about the hymen? If you already knew this information, what is ONE major take away you would pass along to others?
  2. How do you think the larger social concept of virginity and viewing women as potential child bearers impacts women’s health and access to health care?

Need help with your discussion preparation?

Hymen Discussion Answer

The video both supported and gave me new ideas about virginity and hymen. First, it supported that hymen does not work the way people think they do. For example, sex or penetration does not break the hymen. Any physical activity could tear hymen. Second, I also agree that hymen does not mean freshness seal. As there is no one standard for hymen, they can be thick or fragile. For thick hymen, it can be challenging to penetrate and others may require surgery to have it removed. Others have a fragile hymen that it tears on its own. I learned from the video that virginity does not exist.

This question is taken from Soc 230 – Human Sexual Behavior » Fall 2021 » Discussions