Application Paper 1 Answer

Navigation   » List of Schools, Subjects, and Courses  »  Pol Sci 61A – Introduction to Race and Ethnicity in Political Science  »  Application Papers  »  Application Paper 1  »  Application Paper 1 Sample Answers

We are showing you only the excerpt of our answer. If you need help with the complete answer email us at

Application Paper 1

In your answers, draw upon relevant observations or insights from the assigned or optional readings, section, and the lectures.

Define racial identity. Identify at least one person or set of people (i.e. family, teachers, friends, celebrities, political figures, etc.) who have had an important influence on your own racial identity. Describe how and why they have influenced your racial identity.

Identify at least one event or experience you have encountered or witnessed that has had an important influence on your own racial identity. This can be something you have personally undergone, or a public event (i.e. an election or a racial controversy in the news). Describe how and why that event/experience has influenced your racial identity.

Need help with your discussion preparation?

Application Paper 1 Answer

Racial Identity

Generally, racial identity is regarded as the classification or variation of the human person that is rooted in biological differences which include familiar phenomics markers as skin, color, hair texture, eye shape, eye color, and others that are genetically determined (Omi, & Winant, 2015). Given this definition, I would say that my family had an important influence on my own racial identity. Basically, racial, as genetically determined, means that my parents influenced my racial identity having been biologically produced by them.

This question is taken from Pol Sci 61A – Introduction to Race and Ethnicity in Political Science » Fall 2021 » Application Papers